Mellis eNews

mobile menu button
Home > Useful Info

Useful Info

MNews logoThere is a lot of information out there.  How to find what you want and quickly is never easy so the editorial team here at Mellis eNews decided we would try and help based on some of the questions we have heard people raise locally.

If you have something you think others would benefit from knowing please forward details to the Mellis eNews and we will add it to our Did You Know pages.

COMMUNITY POLICING - Mellis falls within the STOWMARKET Safer Neighbourhood Team's remit. Our Safer Neighbourhood Team works closely with partner agencies to address the issues identified as priorities by the local community. Click HERE to visit the Suffolk Police website - click on the Your Area  tab for more details.  

CONSERVATION AREA - did you know that most of Mellis lies within a designated Conservation Area?  That status does limit what we can do with regard to some works on our properties, where we can site satellite dishes, erect sheds/summerhouses etc.  These activities may all require planning permission. The pruning and cutting down of trees growing in gardens may also subject to consent from the District Council.  Click HERE to go to the Heritage page on the Midsuffolk website  

COUNCILS.   We have three tiers of  Local Government

  • Suffolk County Council – responsible for highways, education, social services, libraries, etc.  Click HERE to visit the Suffolk County Council website. Your County Councillor is Jessica Fleming.
  • Mid Suffolk District Council – responsible for benefits, council tax, environmental health, housing, planning & building control.  Click HERE to visit the Mid Suffolk District Council website.  Your District Councillor is Diana Kearsley.
  • Mellis Parish Council – parish councils have a variety of powers and duties that they can use for the benefit of the local community.  Like all councils the councillors are elected by the residents and are accountable to them. Click HERE to visit the Mellis Parish Council website.  

HEAVY GOODS VEHICLES - did you know Suffolk County Council has a voluntary code 'Lorry Management Plan'? The Council works with freight and haulage companies to try and ensure that lorry drivers use the most suitable routes and roads to travel through or deliver goods in Suffolk.  For more information about how this works and to use the online reporting form visit the Suffolk County Council website. Click HERE. 

MELLIS COMMON  - still a lot of confusion locally about who owns what, what you can do, where you can go etc etc.  Click the link on the right hand side of this page to view the Suffolk Wildlife Trust guidance leaflet. 


Jo Churchill (Conservative Bury St Edmunds Constituency) 

Email:   Website: 

Tel: 020 7219 8487/01284 752311 

POLICE CONNECT – Did you know that you can sign up to receive emails, text messages or messages to your landline from the Suffolk Constabulary? The POLICE CONNECT service gives a range of information including:
  • Latest information on local crime
  • Warnings about bogus callers
  • Crime reduction advice
  • Updates from your Safer Neighbourhood Team

For more information and details of how to sign up click HERE to go to the Suffolk Constabulary website. 

POTHOLES & other highways issues – you can report a variety of different highways issues direct to Suffolk County Council Highways using either its online reporting form or via the Customer Service department.  Click HERE to go the Suffolk CC website. The online reporting system can be accessed via tablets and mobiles. Photos may be uploaded and automated email updates are sent.  It should not be used for emergencies which should be reported to 0345 606 6171. 

PUBLIC RIGHTS of WAY – footpaths, bridleways, byways.  The Public Rights of Way (PRoW) that criss-cross our countryside are the responsibility of the County Council. If you have a problem with access over any PRoW you can report this direct to Suffolk CC. by using the online reporting form  on the Suffolk CC website or by telephoning the Customer Service department.  Click HERE to go to the Suffolk CC website. 

ROADWORKS - to get updates about roadworks, road closures & diversions, traffic restrictions etc on the Suffolk CC website click HERE .  Or for a country wide picture go to 


REFUSE BIN COLLECTIONS:- get in a muddle with what bin to put out?  Not sure when your bin is being collected after Christmas, Bank Holidays etc?  Not sure who to contact if you bin is not emptied or gets broken?  Click HERE to visit the Waste & Recycling pages of the Babergh Mid Suffolk Council website.

HOUSEHOLD WASTE RECYCLING CENTRES: - Suffolk County Council (SCC) currently provides 11 Household Waste Recycling Centres in Suffolk.  Click HERE for site locations and details of opening hours etc. Our nearest SCC centre is at Stowmarket. 

BROME COMMUNITY RECYCLING CENTRE:-   A privately operated facility you can get more details from the Mid Suffolk DC website click HERE.